Friday, March 26, 2010

2:16 AM


I'm not a great sleeper. Ok, actually, I am horrible at it. Always have been. I read that people with insomnia are cheaters. Well, I've never been good at it, I haven't a clue who or what I was cheating on when I was 7...I'm pretty sure it is a biological flaw, not a character one.

You see, I am tired at all the wrong times. 3 in the afternoon, Sunday brunch hour, 8pm at night. That's what happened last night. I was falling asleep at 9:30 and had I forced myself to stay awake, read a book, watch Beetlejuice(again), it wouldn't have made me drift off perfect and peaceful come midnight. I would have stayed fixed on that book till "the end". I would have put in Edward Scissor-Hands after the credits rolled naming Michael Keaton in his(as far as I'm concerned)best role. I just do NOT sleep.

When I get to sleep, its either a strange and disturbing nightmare, a simple sound not expected, or the slight shift of my dog at the foot of the bed that wakes me, then the vicious cycle starts all over. I wish I could say I did something constructive with all the extra waking hours, but for the most part they are spent lying there in the dark thinking thoughts not allowed in daylight hours; "what if it doesn't stay this busy at the shop?", "did they mean it when they said that?", "is that spot on my arm cancer?"...it gets more creatively horrible from there.

So tonight, when I fell blissfully asleep at 10:49, I was due to awake with a start at 1:38. I laid there for 12minutes and then decided to just finish reading the latest Esquire, take(another)bath, write a blog, check my email, and then watch the damn Beetlejuice dvd again. (Dear Netflix, I don't care that I will never get to watch anything new, you are never getting this movie back).

I will go to work tomorrow, probably 2 hours early as always since I will wake at 7:34 and the shop actually opens at 10. I will make a bunch of lampshades, I will drink too much coffee, and I will inevitably be ready for sleep come 3pm. But at least with this ruined night I did something...productive; I took a bath.

No comments:

Post a Comment