Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Wallpaper vs. Girl



I've been up against a wall all week. Backbreaking work, hours and hours spent seemingly in futility, frustration, disappointment. I can't begin to tell you how many times I have cursed my very existence! By now you are probably asking yourself, "Jeezus lady, what's the problem?". Well, like I said, I've been up against a wall, four of them actually. Four floral, blue and pinkish mauve-small repeating pattern-walls of paper! Yes, that's right. I have been taking down WALLPAPER!
There is nothing, and I mean NOTHING more frustratingly painstaking, slow paced and maddening than removing wallpaper in a small bathroom put up in the late 80's. However, here are the things I have learned:

1. Goo Off won't take the paper off, but when used in an enclosed space it will get you high enough not to care.
2. Martini's between walls is mandatory. If you don't have that, perhaps large doses of prescription pain killers.
3. Just when you think you can't take it any more, a unusually large piece will rip off the wall and it will give you the emotional fortitude to tackle that horrible space around the toilet.
4. never put wallpaper up to begin with. Ever.

While battling through these "highs" and lows, I had much time to think about where my life was going, hopefully at one point it would be taking me out of the bathroom...
I thought about my Mom, it is
her bathroom after all, and thought how she was so stubborn about putting this @$%#ing paper up all those years ago, but now here I am taking it down! That said, she was in labor with me for 4 hours, carried me for 9 months before that...guess I owe her a bathroom. I hope when I'm her age I have some slave child who loves me enough to come 6hours and one state over to tackle some project from hell.
Thought 2: will my adopted children love me enough to do said hell task? Note to self: add addendum to adoption paperwork...
My other thoughts wavered-depending on the amount of paint/Goo Off/plaster fumes in the air- from what kind of tree house mansion I would build if I lived in French Polynesia to who is it that stamps all the "Ms" on M&Ms?...

Long week in review-and it's only Wednesday; removing wallpaper sucks, have kids so you never have to know it's pains.


No comments:

Post a Comment